49 members of a Sicilian Mafia syndicate are jailed in Italy in what the government describes as a landmark case.
- Heavy floods affect Palermo in Sicily, Italy, killing twelve people. The total death toll of the floods and strong winds in the country rises to 31 people.
- Representatives from 12 European Union countries do not reach an agreement on Italy's request to take in the 150 migrants still remaining on the "Diciotti"-class vessel in Catania, Sicily, after their rescue by the Italian Coast Guard nine days ago.
- Container ship MV "Alexander Maersk" is allowed by Italian authorities to dock in Pozzallo, Sicily, after several days. There, it discharges over 100 rescued migrants. Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte says German migrant rescue ship MV "Lifeline" will be permitted to dock in Malta in a deal that will see some of the migrants on board come to Italy.
- A judge in Ragusa, Sicily, Italy, orders the release of a Proactiva Open Arms migrant search and rescue ship detained in Pozzallo since arriving there on March 18 carrying over 200 migrants rescued from the Mediterranean Sea. Catania prosecutors requested the Spanish ship's detention alleging involvement in illegal immigration after Proactiva refused to hand the migrants over to Libya.
- A judge in Catania, Italy, upholds the seizure of a Proactiva Open Arms ship that brought migrants to Sicily after refusing to hand them over to the Libyan Coast Guard.