Officials are today checking for damage after a huge earthquake rocked parts of the South Island last night. - New Zealand Herald
- Associated Press
- New Zealand Herald (Image)
- A 6.4 magnitude earthquake occurs near the town of Kaikoura on the South Island of New Zealand.
- 2005 Sumatran earthquake: An earthquake of moment magnitude 8.7 is reported off the west coast of North Sumatra, likely an aftershock of the 2004 Indian Ocean earthquake. Concerned about the threat of a tsunami, emergency evacuations begin in Malaysia, Thailand, and Sri Lanka, although no significant tsunami activity is reported. Indonesia's vice-president reports up to 2,000 deaths
- The death toll of the earthquake and tsunami that struck Sulawesi, Indonesia, rises to 1,649. More than 265 are missing.
- The confirmed death toll from an earthquake and tsunami in Indonesia has risen to 1,571.
- The confirmed death toll from an earthquake and tsunami in Indonesia has risen to 1,407.