- The Straits Times
- The Malaysian opposition party PAS defeats the government party UMNO in the by-election at Permatang Pasir, Penang.
- Three members of the State Legislative Assembly in Perak state, Malaysia from the People's Alliance declare themselves independent and pledge support for the National Front, sparking a constitutional crisis.
- The Pan-Malaysian Islamic Party defeats Barisan Nasional in Malaysia's Kuala Terengganu by-election.
- Former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak is banned from leaving the country due to the ongoing investigation into the 1Malaysia Development Berhad scandal. He subsequently resigns as president of UMNO and as head of the BN coalition.
- Malaysia's ruling coalition Barisan Nasional retains a majority of parliamentary seats in the general election.