Gabonese President Omar Bongo dies of a heart attack at age 73.
- Libyan leader Muammar al-Gaddafi reaches 41 years in power; there are less than 24 months left until he is scheduled to become Africa's longest serving ruler, overtaking former Gabonese President Omar Bongo who died in 2009.
- The state funeral in Libreville of former President of Gabon Omar Bongo is attended by dignitaries from 40 nations.
- 10,000 Gabonese watch the body of President Omar Bongo arrive back home from Spain.
- Gabon's constitutional court recounts votes from last month's disputed presidential election won by the son of longtime leader Omar Bongo.
- Gabon: Africa's longest serving president (since 1967), Omar Bongo, wins presidential elections, securing a further seven years in office.