- Voters in Guinea-Bissau take part in a runoff presidential election between Kumba Iala and Malam Bacai Sanha.
- A presidential election takes place in Guinea-Bissau following the death of former President Joo Bernardo Vieira.
- President Jose Mario Vaz appoints Artur Silva as Prime Minister of Guinea-Bissau, succeeding Umaro Sissoco Embalo, who resigned on January 16th.
- Arms trader Jacques Monsieur is to defend himself again at a Brussels court against accusations of arms trafficking to Libya, Chad, Guinea-Bissau, Pakistan and Iran between 2006 and 2009.
- In a ruling, Venezuela's Supreme Court says it "guarantees congressional functions will be exercised by" itself, authorizing president Nicolas Maduro to create oil joint ventures without the previously mandated congressional approval. Opposition leaders call it a "coup", while Peru recalls its ambassador.