- U.S. President Donald Trump signs the "Space Policy Directive 1" that establishes the foundation for a crewed mission to the Moon, while also maintaining a longer-term NASA goal of landing a man on Mars.
- The United States Federal Aviation Administration approves private startup company Moon Express landing a robotic craft on the Moon, according to the Mountain View, California, company.
- Neil Armstrong, the first person on the Moon, dies at age 82.
- Sally Ride, the first American female astronaut, dies of pancreatic cancer at the age of 61. Her obituary acknowledges her 27-year relationship with a woman.
- Three astronauts, Sunita Williams of the United States, Yuri Malenchenko of Russia and Aki Hoshide of Japan, arrive at the International Space Station for a three month visit.