U.S. forces pull out of Baghdad and leave major cities across Iraq.
In one neighborhood, results of the American “surge” are evident but sectarian tensions remain.
- The New York Times (Image)
- The United States flag is lowered in Baghdad marking the end of U.S. military operations in Iraq after eight years of the Iraq War.
- A United States Army soldier kills five comrades at Camp Liberty in Baghdad, Iraq.
- Shia Islamists under cleric Muqtada al-Sadr protest in Baghdad, Iraq, on the anniversary of its capture by the United States Armed Forces in 2003.
- The United States military says that it accidentally killed nine Iraqi civilians in an operation targeting Al-Qaeda south of Baghdad.
- Iraq and the United States have pledged a "fair and transparent" investigation into a gunfight involving private security firm Blackwater Security that left eight people dead in Baghdad.