Indian Member of Parliament Meira Kumar becomes the first female Speaker of the House of the People.
- Al Jazeera (Image)
- The ninth and final phase of election concluded in India, with an all time high voter turnout of 66.64%, which is overall the highest in the history of Lok Sabha. Final results will be declared on May 16.
- According to a parliamentary answer by the ministry of health, the value of a life lost during a clinical trial is 2.2 lakh rupees ($ 4,000) in India in 2011. This number is the average compensation paid for deaths during clinical trials. No rules governing compensations for clinical trial-related injury or death have been approved by the Parliament of India yet.
- Indian anti-corruption activist Anna Hazare begins a three day fast in protest as legislation creating an anti-corruption watchdog excluding the Central Bureau of Investigation goes before the Parliament of India.
- 186 members of the 245-seat Rajya Sabha of the Sansad in India vote in favour of a bill giving one third of available seats in the national parliament and state legislatures to women. One member votes against, several parties boycott the vote and seven MPs are suspended after expressing their disagreement.
- The fourth phase of India's general election concludes. [http:--www.hindustantimes.com-election09-storypage.aspx?id=c4fbaac9-40a3-4bd8-9e76-47c1901a8f1d&category=Chunk-HT-UI-Elections-SectionPage-TopStories "(Hindustan Times)"]