Two passenger trains collide in Chenzhou, Hunan in central China, leaving at least three people dead and 60 injured.
- A man plows his car into a crowd of people at a busy square in Hengyang, Hunan, China, before exiting his vehicle and stabbing bystanders. Eleven people are killed and 44 others are injured. The attacker was detained and identified by police as a convicted drug dealer and thief, who said that "he wanted to take revenge on society".
- Wu Yingjie becomes the Communist Party Secretary of the Tibet Autonomous Region, replacing Chen Quanguo, who will assume another post.Chen Hao becomes Communist Party Secretary of Yunnan, replacing Li Jiheng, who will assume another post.Du Jiahao becomes Communist Party Secretary of Hunan, replacing Xu Shousheng.
- At least 38 people are dead after a bus collides with a van carrying flammable liquids in China's Hunan province.
- Hand, foot and mouth disease kills 149 people in Hunan, China.
- 10 people are killed in a hotel fire in Hunan, China.