The Afghan president urged the militants to refrain from disrupting the national elections in August and to cast ballots themselves.
- New York Times (Image)
- Attorney general Mohammad Ishaq Aloko is fired by Afghan President Hamid Karzai, over an unsanctioned meeting with Taliban peace negotiators in the United Arab Emirates.
- President of Afghanistan Hamid Karzai meets with Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, the Emir of Qatar, to discuss plans for the Taliban to open an office in Doha in order to help solve the conflict in Afghanistan.
- President of Afghanistan Hamid Karzai threatens to join the Taliban if the Afghani Parliament refuses to approve his proposal to take control of the electoral apparatus from the United Nations.
- Afghan President Hamid Karzai's main rival Abdullah Abdullah alleges fraud in the presidential election.
- Afghan President Hamid Karzai demands that the United States halt airstrikes in the war against the Taliban.