Seven members of Bolivia's Mennonite Christian community are detained over the alleged rape of 60 women or girls from their own community.
Eight men from a Mennonite community in Bolivia have been arrested and accused of raping at least 60 women from their farming settlement in the eastern Santa Cruz region, a prosecutor said on Tuesday.
- Reuters (Image)
- A magnitude 6.8 earthquake strikes near Tarija, Bolivia, and is felt as far as SGBPo Paulo, Brazil, approximately 3,000 km away. There are no reports of major damage or casualties.
- Brazilian police detain fugitive Italian former left-wing guerrilla and convicted murderer Cesare Battisti, as he was attempting to flee across the border into Bolivia to avoid extradition back to Italy and facing his life sentence prison term for four murders in the 1970s.
- Pope Francis, while honoring Christians killed under Nazism, communism, dictatorships, and terrorism at Rome's Basilica of St. Bartholomew, adds to those named the wife of a Muslim he met in Lesbos, Greece, who was killed by terrorists because she wouldn't throw down her crucifix. Francis referred to the Lesbos camp as a 'concentration camp' noting, despite the good will of local communities, many refugee camps are overcrowded and little more than prisons.
- Bolivia, Ethiopia, Italy, Kazakhstan, and Sweden begin their terms on the United Nations Security Council, replacing Angola, Malaysia, New Zealand, Spain, and Venezuela.
- Bolivia's aviation authority suspends the operating license of LaMia. Investigation into the crash in Colombia, which killed 71 people, continues.