The French National Assembly announces the beginning of an inquiry into whether women in France should be allowed to wear the burqa.
- Denmark's parliament votes 75-30 to ban garments that cover the face, which includes Islamic veils such as the niqab and burqa. Those violating the law risk a fine of 1,000 kroner. Similar bans already exist in Austria, Belgium and France.
- Bruno Le Roux resigns as France's Minister of the Interior amid a jobs scandal involving two of his daughters. Using public funds, Bruno had hired his 15 and 16-year-old daughters as parliamentary assistants while he was serving as a deputy in the French National Assembly.
- The French law banning the burqa and niqab comes into effect.
- Police issue a French Muslim woman with a fine of EUR22 for wearing a burqa while driving in Nantes, causing controversy and threatening her husband's status.
- French President Nicolas Sarkozy calls for the burqa to be banned in France.