Derailment and collision
WTOP brings you the latest news, traffic, and weather information for the Washington, D.C. region. Catch up on the issues and topics important to you today.
- NBC Washington (Image)
- WTOP (Image)
- The Washington Metro, a commuter rail system which transports nearly 1 million passengers across the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area per day, shuts down to allow for an emergency inspection of 600 electrical cables, following two fires occurring over the past 14 months. Officials say the system is scheduled to resume service by the following morning, though individual Metro lines or stations could remain closed indefinitely if problems are identified.
- An electrical malfunction causes a fire in the Washington, D. C.'s Metro subway system near L'Enfant Plaza Station resulting in one death with 84 people taken to hospitals, mostly from smoke inhalation.
- Farooque Ahmed is sentenced to 23 years in jail in the US for plotting attacks on the Washington Metro system.
- Farooque Ahmed of Ashburn, Virginia, is arrested for allegedly plotting an attack on the Washington, D.C. Metrorail system.
- The Washington, D.C. Metro announces it will randomly search "backpacks, gym bags and any other containers that riders carry with them onto the bus and rail system" during periods of increased threat.