Salvatore Miceli, an Italian Mafia fugitive on the run since 2001 and listed as one of the country's 30 most dangerous men, is arrested in Venezuela.
- Bolivia, Ethiopia, Italy, Kazakhstan, and Sweden begin their terms on the United Nations Security Council, replacing Angola, Malaysia, New Zealand, Spain, and Venezuela.
- Acting on requests from neighboring Italy, Swiss authorities arrest 15 people sought as suspected members of the 'Ndrangheta organized crime syndicate, a Mafia-type organization centered in Calabria, Italy.
- Hundreds of Italians commemorate anti-Mafia judge Paolo Borsellino in Palermo, 18 years after he was killed by a car bomb.
- One hundred thousand people protest against the Sicilian Mafia and Camorra in Naples, Italy.
- There are mass arrests in the United States and Italy in an anti-Mafia sweep including three suspected senior members of the Gambino crime family.