The U.S. begins deploying missile interceptors and radar to defend Hawaii from a North Korean long-range rocket.
The Pentagon said that it planned to “vigorously enforce” sanctions on North Korea’s nuclear program.
- The New York Times (Image)
- At least three people are killed and two hospitalized, one in serious condition, from a fire in a condominium tower in the U.S. city of Honolulu, Hawaii. An unknown number of residents are reportedly still trapped in their apartments.
- Voters in the U.S. states of Mississippi, Michigan, Hawaii and Idaho vote in primary elections and caucuses.
- United States President Barack Obama praises U.S. troops and reflects on the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan during his annual Christmas message from Hawaii.
- North Korea issues a new threat to strike targets on the United States mainland, Hawaii and Guam, as well as South Korea, days after a new US-South Korea military pact.
- Daylight saving time goes into effect across the United States (except Arizona and Hawaii) and Canada (except Saskatchewan).