Ireland's Taoiseach Brian Cowen secures binding concessions in EU talks on the Lisbon Treaty.
- Ireland's Taoiseach Brian Cowen denies Libertas founder Declan Ganley's claim that the second Irish referendum on the Treaty of Lisbon is "profoundly undemocratic".
- Taoiseach Brian Cowen announces that the second referendum on the Treaty of Lisbon in Ireland will be held on October 2.
- Enda Kenny is elected as the 13th Taoiseach of Ireland by a margin of 117-27 in the 31st Dail Eireann, replacing Brian Cowen.
- Taoiseach Brian Cowen addresses Dail Eireann ahead of a meeting of EU finance ministers, saying Ireland has not applied for financial support from the European Union.
- Taoiseach Brian Cowen begins his state visit to the United States in Chicago, announcing to the world his scheme that will allow senior citizen tourists aged 66 and above to travel free on Iarnrod Eireann in the Republic of Ireland.