- A Jordanian policeman shoots dead two American instructors and a South African before being killed at a police training centre in Al-Muwaqqar, on the eastern outskirts of Amman. U.S. contractors are sent to the facility to assist Jordanian police trainers.
- For the first time in at least ten years, all United States embassies and consulates in South Africa are closed following an unspecified "security threat".
- Over 100 UK and US schoolchildren and teachers are quarantined in Beijing due to swine flu.
- Live Earth gets underway with concerts in Australia, the United States, Germany, South Africa, the United Kingdom, Brazil, Japan and China.
- The United States holds midterm elections for all 435 House seats, for 35 Senate seats (including two special elections in Minnesota and Mississippi), for 39 state and territorial governorships, and for numerous state and local races.