Several Al-Qaeda militants are killed by a Malian army offensive near the Algerian border.
Mali’s army on Tuesday attacked an al-Qaeda base near the Algerian border, killing several militants, security sources said, nearly two weeks after the group said it had killed a British hostage.
- Taipei Times (Image)
- Gunmen kill at least 14 soldiers at a military base in Soumpi, central Mali.
- Four UN peacekeepers are killed in a suspected Al-Qaeda attack in northern Mali.
- The United Nations mission in Mali confirms that the Malian armed forces had retaken a UN Police base in Timbuktu from unknown assailants that attacked it earlier in the day.
- Gunmen attack a Malian military checkpoint in the town of Lere, near the Mauritanian border with Mali, killing at least three soldiers and wounding two others.
- Two Tunisian soldiers are killed and two wounded by a roadside bomb while hunting Al-Qaeda militants in a mountainous region near the Algerian border.