Chancellor Alistair Darling states there is "growing evidence" that government measures have stabilised the British banking system and economy.
- Sky News
- British Chancellor of the Exchequer Alistair Darling delivers the pre Budget report, with tax rises and spending cuts to reduce the government debt.
- Britain's Chancellor of the Exchequer Alistair Darling releases details of a rescue package aimed at restoring confidence in British Banks. As part of the deal the British Government will provide GBP50bn of investment, provide a further GBP200bn in short term loans and guarantee up to GBP250bn of intra-bank loans
- British Defence Minister Gavin Williamson announces that a joint British-Omani military training base will open in Oman next year.
- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says that recordings related to the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi were issued to Saudi Arabia, the United States, the United Kingdom, Germany and France.
- Medical cannabis becomes legal in the United Kingdom as the National Health Service can now prescribe it to some patients, including those with cancer, severe forms of epilepsy, and multiple sclerosis.