A suicide bomber detonated an explosives-laden vehicle at the Medina Hotel in Beledweyne, Somalia, killing 10 people. Among the dead is Omar Hashi Aden, Somalia's Security Minister.
- An African Union base in Beledweyne, Somalia, is stormed by armed attackers, resulting in the deaths of 19 people.
- 16 people are killed and 30 wounded by a suicide bomber in an attack in a crowded restaurant in the central Somali town of Beledweyne.
- Ethiopian forces capture the central Somali town of Beledweyne from al-Shabaab Islamist militants.
- One person is killed and two others are injured by a knife-wielding man in Melbourne, Australia. The suspect, a 31-year-old Australian resident originally from Somalia, randomly stabbed pedestrians after exiting his burning, crashed utility truck that held multiple gas canisters. He was shot and killed attempting to stab responding police. The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant claims responsibility.
- The United States Africa Command (AFRICOM) says that a U.S. airstrike has killed around 60 al-Shabaab militants near Harardhere in central Somalia.