- New York Times
- An escalator collapses at Repubblica – Teatro dell'Opera metro station in Rome, Italy, leaving at least 20 people injured, the majority Russian football team CSKA fans.
- Italian authorities say a major terror alert in Rome last week was for an innocent man whose fiancé had made false, anonymous accusations to the Italian embassy in Tunisia.
- At the Indigenous Peoples Forum in Rome, Italy, Pope Francis says that developmental needs have to be reconciled with the protection of the particular characteristics of indigenous peoples and their territories. This is taken by some as a reference to the Standing Rock Sioux and other groups opposing the Dakota Access Pipeline.
- Voters in the Italian capital of Rome go to the polls for a runoff election to select a new Mayor of Rome with exit polls showing Virginia Raggi of the Five Star Movement will become the first female Mayor.
- An estimated half-million Italians protest in Rome's Circus Maximus against pending legislation that would legalize same-sex unions. The legislation would extend to civil unions the same rights they would have under marriage, including adoption of children.