The lethal Lujo virus is identified in Africa.
- Research linking the spread of the AIDS virus with malarial infections in Africa is published in "Science".
- The KenitraâTangier high-speed rail line, the first in Africa, is inaugurated.
- Shares in African international airline Fastjet fall by 72% amid equity talks amongst shareholders, with the airline warning that trading may be suspended entirely and the company liquidated if a solution is not found.
- The African Land Forces Summit opens in Abuja, Nigeria. Present are military delegations from 30 African nations plus representatives from Europe and the United States.
- Erin Energy, a Texas company specialising in African offshore oil deposits with licences to explore off Nigeria, The Gambia, Ghana, and Kenya, files for bankruptcy protection.