- A magnitude 5.5 earthquake strikes Osaka, Japan, at 7:58 a.m. local time (22:58 UTC, June 17). At least five people have been killed and several are transported to hospitals with injuries. Electrical services are disrupted citywide, affecting 170,000 buildings.
- A magnitude 6.8 earthquake strikes near Tarija, Bolivia, and is felt as far as SGBPo Paulo, Brazil, approximately 3,000 km away. There are no reports of major damage or casualties.
- A magnitude 6.9 earthquake strikes off the coast of New Britain Island, Papua New Guinea, at a depth of 35 km. There are no reports of immediate damage. [https:--www.bbc.com-news-world-asia-43592321 (BBC)
- A 5.8 magnitude earthquake strikes off the coast of the Mexican state of Jalisco, prompting evacuations in the tourist resort of Puerto Vallarta and is felt in the country's second-largest metropolitan area of Guadalajara. No casualties are reported.
- Multiple earthquakes, including a magnitude 6.4 earthquake, strike near Hualien City, Taiwan. At least 9 people are killed and over 250 are injured, with extensive damage to many structures in the city.