- A magnitude 7.0 earthquake hits Alaska, with the epicenter in Anchorage. Severe damage is reported.
- A 6.3 magnitude earthquake strikes near Sarpol-e Zahab, Iran, and close to the Iraqi border. A person died in Iraq while more than 700 others are injured.
- A magnitude 5.5 earthquake strikes Osaka, Japan, at 7:58 a.m. local time (22:58 UTC, June 17). At least five people have been killed and several are transported to hospitals with injuries. Electrical services are disrupted citywide, affecting 170,000 buildings.
- A magnitude 6.8 earthquake strikes near Tarija, Bolivia, and is felt as far as São Paulo, Brazil, approximately 3,000 km away. There are no reports of major damage or casualties.
- A magnitude 6.9 earthquake strikes off the coast of New Britain Island, Papua New Guinea, at a depth of 35 km. There are no reports of immediate damage. [https:--www.bbc.com-news-world-asia-43592321 (BBC)