Somali President Sharif Ahmed requests international aid in combating Islamic militants.
- At least 36 people die during combat between the Transitional Federal Government and Islamist militants in Webho, Somalia.
- Somali President Sharif Ahmed appoints Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed as Prime Minister of the Transitional Federal Government.
- Somali President Sharif Ahmed joins Somali troops on the front line during battles on the 50 th anniversary of the country's independence.
- At least 36 people are killed as the Transitional Federal Government and Islamist militants battle in Mogadishu, Somalia.
- Three civilians die during combat between Islamist insurgents and the African Union Mission in Mogadishu, Somalia.