President Mahinda Rajapaksa declares Sri Lanka "liberated" from the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam.
- Reuters (Image)
- President Mahinda Rajapaksa says that Sri Lanka has "militarily defeated the Tamil Tigers".
- Voters in Sri Lanka go to the polls for a presidential election with a tight contest predicted between President Mahinda Rajapaksa and challenger Maithripala Sirisena.
- Sri Lankan Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake is removed from office by President Mahinda Rajapaksa after being impeached.
- Sri Lanka's former army chief Sarath Fonseka is freed from prison with a pardon from President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
- Sri Lanka's President Mahinda Rajapakse and other prominent Sri Lankans protest international calls and the appointment of a United Nations panel to investigate war crimes allegedly committed during the country's civil war with the Tamil Tiger separatists.