Former United States Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld is accused of quoting the Bible while briefing then-President George W. Bush.
- U.S. President Barack Obama lifts George W. Bush's restrictions on embryonic stem cell research.
- Iraqi journalist Muntadhar al-Zaidi is sentenced to three years in prison for throwing shoes at then-United States President George W. Bush.
- President George W. Bush bids farewell to the United States in a 15-minute televised address, during which he touted his record and warned his successor, Barack Obama, to maintain an aggressive stance against terrorism.
- Iraqi Parliament Speaker Mahmoud al-Mashhadani announces his resignation because of chaos over the treatment of Muntadhar al-Zaidi, the Al-Baghdadia TV journalist who threw his shoes at United States President George W. Bush.
- Al-Baghdadia TV journalist Muntadhar al-Zaidi is subdued after throwing both his shoes at United States President George W. Bush during his farewell speech in Iraq.