- Sri Lanka's government announces that Tamil refugees held in camps since the end of the conflict with the Tamil Tigers will be free to leave the camps next month.
- President Mahinda Rajapaksa declares Sri Lanka "liberated" from the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam.
- Sri Lanka's government declares an end to its civil war with the Tamil Tigers.
- Sri Lanka's Armed Forces claim to have killed 180 counterattacking Tamil Tigers.
- United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights Navanethem Pillay accuses Sri Lanka's Armed Forces and the Tamil Tigers of possible war crimes.