Sri Lanka declared Monday it had crushed the Tamil Tiger rebels, killing their chief, Velupillai Prabhakaran, and ending his three-decade quest for an independent homeland for Tamils.
- MSNBC (Image)
- President Mahinda Rajapaksa declares Sri Lanka "liberated" from the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam.
- Voters in Sri Lanka go to the polls for a presidential election with a tight contest predicted between President Mahinda Rajapaksa and challenger Maithripala Sirisena.
- Sri Lankan Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake is removed from office by President Mahinda Rajapaksa after being impeached.
- Sri Lanka's former army chief Sarath Fonseka is freed from prison with a pardon from President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
- President of Sri Lanka Mahinda Rajapaksa responds in a speech at a commemorative military pageant to critics of the army who say human rights abuses were committed against civilians during the 2009 defeat of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam rebels.