President Mahinda Rajapaksa says that Sri Lanka has "militarily defeated the Tamil Tigers".
Sri Lanka declared Monday it had crushed the Tamil Tiger rebels, killing their chief, Velupillai Prabhakaran, and ending his three-decade quest for an independent homeland for Tamils.
- MSNBC (Image)
- President Mahinda Rajapaksa declares Sri Lanka "liberated" from the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam.
- Voters in Sri Lanka go to the polls for a presidential election with a tight contest predicted between President Mahinda Rajapaksa and challenger Maithripala Sirisena.
- Sri Lankan Chief Justice Shirani Bandaranayake is removed from office by President Mahinda Rajapaksa after being impeached.
- Sri Lanka's former army chief Sarath Fonseka is freed from prison with a pardon from President Mahinda Rajapaksa.
- President of Sri Lanka Mahinda Rajapaksa responds in a speech at a commemorative military pageant to critics of the army who say human rights abuses were committed against civilians during the 2009 defeat of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam rebels.