India and Turkey confirm their first cases of (A)H1N1 influenza.
- The United Kingdom experiences its first critical case of A(H1N1) influenza.
- H1N1 influenza kills a third United States citizen and spreads to Australia and Japan.
- Reporters Without Borders releases their annual report regarding press freedom around the world with 71 journalists killed in 2013 so far. The deadliest countries are Syria, India, the Philippines, Pakistan, and Somalia while the worst jailers are China, Turkey, Eritrea, Iran, and Syria.
- 21 suspected cases of swine flu A (H1N1), with one death, have been reported in Thanjavur in India.
- A Turkish ship is hijacked by Somali pirates more than 1,000 miles away from the coast of Somalia and closer to India.