Chinese Communist Party General Secretary Zhao Ziyang's secret memoirs about the 1989 protests in Tiananmen Square are published.
- 150,000 people assemble in Hong Kong, China, to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the massacre in Tiananmen Square on June 4, 1989.
- China blocks access to such websites as Twitter, Flickr, and Hotmail, ahead of the anniversary of the massacre in Tiananmen Square on June 4, 1989.
- General Secretary Hu Jintao of the Communist Party in the People's Republic of China and Nationalist Party Chairman Wu Poh-hsiung in Taiwan meet in Beijing to discuss cross-Strait relations.
- The 17th National Congress of the Communist Party of China opens in Beijing, China, marking the beginning of a 7-day conclave of China's top leadership. General Secretary Hu Jintao delivers the work report for the past five years, and sets the party's direction in the coming five years. Hu also said in the keynote speech that the Communist Party has "fallen short of the people's expectations".
- According to family members, funeral of the purged Chinese communist leader Zhao Ziyang will be held on next Saturday