Pope Benedict XVI advocates the creation of a Palestinian state.
- Pope Benedict XVI says that only reconciliation can resolve the conflict between Israel and the Palestinian people.
- In his first public statement since his resignation, former Pope Benedict XVI denies that he covered up child sexual abuse cases involving priests during his tenure.
- Pope John Paul II is beatified by Pope Benedict XVI in Saint Peter's Square, Rome.
- Pope Benedict XVI declares two of his predecessors, John Paul II and Pius XII to be Venerable, the second step toward sainthood.
- Pope Benedict XVI canonizes five new saints: Father Damien, Rafael Arnaiz Baron, Zygmunt Szczesny Felinski, Francisco Coll Guitart, and Jeanne Jugan.