- Iranian-American journalist Roxana Saberi is charged with espionage and imprisoned in Iran until 2017.
- The United States reimposes sanctions on Iran after the US pulled out of the international agreement three months prior.
- Iran files a lawsuit against the United States in the International Court of Justice alleging its decision in May to impose sanctions after pulling out of a nuclear deal violates the 1955 "Treaty of Amity, Economic Relations and Consular Rights" between the two countries.
- The United States charges and sanctions nine Iranians and the Iranian company Mabna Institute for hacking and attempting to hack hundreds of universities.
- A senior European External Action Service official says that the European Union, in order to protect its companies doing business with Iran, could implement "blocking regulations" based on a legal framework set up in 1996 for E.U. trade with Cuba, should the United States pull out of the 2015 nuclear deal and restore its sanctions.