Associate Justice David Souter announces he will retire from the United States Supreme Court in June.
- US Supreme Court Associate Justice Anthony Kennedy announces his retirement, effective July 31, 2018.
- United States Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia dies at age 79.
- The U.S. Court of Appeals in New Orleans, Louisiana, in a 2-1 decision, upholds a lower court’s injunction that blocks implementation of an Executive order to shield from deportation millions of undocumented immigrants who entered the United States as children. The White House is considering an appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court.
- The Obama administration will ask the Supreme Court to overturn yesterday's ruling by the New Orleans, Louisiana, federal Court of Appeals that blocks the deferred deportation of millions of undocumented immigrants who entered the United States as children.
- The United States Senate confirms the nomination of Elena Kagan as an associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court.