- Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez announces that China is to invest 16 billion US dollars to boost oil production in the country particularly along the Orinoco River as part of a strategy to reduce dependence on the US market.
- Chinese President Hu Jintao returns to Beijing and chairs Politburo Meeting, vowing "severe punishment" on culprits as the social order in rmqi is being restored.
- Chinese President Hu Jintao leaves the 35th G8 Summit and returns to Beijing to deal with the ongoing riots in Urumqi.
- After an official 3-day visit to Pyongyang, North Korea, President Hu Jintao of the People's Republic of China returns to Beijing, having reached new directions in Sino-DPRK relations. This comes after North Korean Leader Kim Jong-il called Hu the "most respected guest".
- Human rights groups send an open letter to the President of the People's Republic of China, Hu Jintao, pressing the Chinese government to address the underlying causes of protests that have led 11 Tibetans to set themselves on fire since March.