United States District Judge Emmet G. Sullivan overturns the conviction of former Alaska Senator Ted Stevens.
- Alaskan Senator Ted Stevens is found guilty on all seven counts of lying on United States Senate financial documents.
- United States Senator Ted Stevens of Alaska is indicted on seven counts related to his conduct as a Senator.
- Voters in Anchorage, Alaska, United States, reject a proposed amendment to the city charter which would have restricted public restroom use to the gender appearing on the user's birth certificate.
- A 7.9 magnitude earthquake occurs in the Gulf of Alaska. A tsunami warning is issued for coastal Alaska and British Columbia, and the entire U.S. West Coast is placed under a tsunami watch. Areas of Alaska remain under a tsunami advisory. It is tied as the sixth-largest earthquake ever recorded in the United States, but there are no reports of significant damage or fatalities.
- The United States federal government shuts down after the United States Senate fails to pass a budget bill.