The Vermont%20General%20Assembly">General Assembly legalizes same-sex marriage in Vermont, United States.
- Burlington Free Press
- Governor of Vermont Peter Shumlin abandons plans for the first single-payer health care system in the United States, citing transparency problems and heavy tax increases.
- Former United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton officially announces her support for same-sex marriage.
- In the United States, prospective Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney condemns same-sex marriage as illegitimate. At the evangelical Christian Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia, he describes marriage as exclusively "a relationship between one man and one woman."
- The Washington State Legislature in the United States approves a bill that will allow same-sex marriage in the state.
- The United Church of Christ becomes the first mainline U.S. Christian denomination to officially support same-sex marriages by passing a resolution calling for member churches to consider wedding policies "that do not discriminate against couples based on gender." It also asks churches to consider supporting legislation granting equal marriage rights to gay and lesbian couples and to work against laws banning gay marriage.