At least 207 people are killed and 1,500 injured during a 6.3-magnitude earthquake near L'Aquila, Italy.
- Four earthquakes of magnitude 5.1 or higher strike near Amatrice, Italy, forcing evacuation of some schools and the Rome Metro. No deaths are reported from the quakes.
- Seven Italian officials are investigated for manslaughter relating to the 2009 L'Aquila earthquake.
- Sandro Bondi, Italy's minister of culture, calls for a boycott of the 2010 Cannes Film Festival after a documentary on the 2009 L'Aquila earthquake was included in the programme.
- Vigils and a musical requiem are among a series of events held in L'Aquila to mark the first anniversary of one of Europe's largest post-war natural disasters.
- The 35th G8 Summit begins in L'Aquila, Italy.