The third round of India's general election takes place.
Polls have opened in the third round of India's month-long elections, with the residents of Mumbai, the site of last year's militant attacks, among 144 million registered to vote.
- Reuters via ''Telegraph (Image)
- Indian Member of Parliament Meira Kumar becomes the first female Speaker of the House of the People.
- The fourth phase of India's general election concludes. [http:--www.hindustantimes.com-election09-storypage.aspx?id=c4fbaac9-40a3-4bd8-9e76-47c1901a8f1d&category=Chunk-HT-UI-Elections-SectionPage-TopStories "(Hindustan Times)"]
- Manmohan Singh of the National Congress is reelected as Prime Minister of India.
- The People's Party concedes to the United Progressive Alliance in India's general election.
- India's government locks down Srinagar, Kashmir, to prevent anti-election protests.