- AAP via News Limited
- A suicide car bomber kills one person and injures fourteen others near the Australian embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan.
- United States President Barack Obama authorizes the deployment of 12,000 more soldiers into the Afghanistan War.
- Trooper Mark Donaldson of the Australian Special Air Service Regiment is awarded the Victoria Cross for gallantry during the War in Afghanistan.
- A senior Taliban commander, Mullah Abdul Manan Akhund, is killed in a U.S. air strike in Afghanistan.
- A series of U.S. airstrikes kills at least 30 Afghan civilians, including 16 children, in Garmsir District, Helmand Province. Additional civilians were left wounded or buried in the rubble. The target of the strikes was a suspected Taliban compound. The United States' strategy aims to push the Taliban into talks.