- New York Times
- United States President Barack Obama halts the trials of detainees at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base's detention camp.
- The United States releases Lakhdar Boumediene from Guantanamo Bay Naval Base's detention center.
- United States President Barack Obama will close Guantanamo Bay Naval Base's detention camp within one year and bans torture.
- A U.S. Justice Department task force recommends 47 Guantanamo Bay detainees should be held indefinitely without charge.
- Three detainees held by the United States at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, are sent abroad to two countries. Ireland accepts two detainees of Uzbeki origin in a humanitarian gesture, with Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform Dermot Ahern saying Ireland was one of the first countries in Europe to call for the closure of Guantanamo Bay and that the two men would now be given time to rebuild their lives.