China fires twelve officials for misconduct in the Sichuan earthquake relief effort.
- BBC News
- China reports that 95% of post-earthquake reconstruction is complete in Sichuan, three years after a deadly earthquake, in a "victory" for the country.
- China sentences Tan Zuoren, who investigated poor construction after the 2008 Sichuan earthquake, to five years in prison for "inciting subversion of state power".
- Chinese human rights activist Huang Qi, who campaigned for the parents of the children killed in schools in the 2008 Sichuan earthquake, is sentenced to three years in prison for "illegally holding state secrets".
- China announces that 5,335 schoolchildren died during an earthquake in Sichuan on May 12, 2008. [http:--www.guardian.co.uk-world-2009-may-07-china-quake-pupils-death-toll "(The Guardian)"]
- Authorities in the People's Republic of China are preparing to evacuate more than a million people from Sichuan Province as they prepare to drain Tangjiashan Lake created by the 2008 Sichuan earthquake.