- BBC News
- Suspected Islamic militants take over a BP facility in In Amenas, Algeria, killing at least 2 workers and taking up to 40 others hostage, including 13 Norwegians, a number of Americans, as well as nationals from Ireland, Japan, France and the United Kingdom. A previously unknown group allied to al-Qaeda's regional branch says the attack is in revenge for Algeria's support of the French operation against Islamic rebels in Mali.
- Hundreds of people protest in Cannes over "Hors-la-loi", a Rachid Bouchareb directed film about Algeria's struggle for independence against France.
- A Frenchman and his Algerian driver are kidnapped by armed men in Niger.
- Algerian ra music star Cheb Mami is jailed for five years in France for trying to force his former partner to have an abortion.
- France will compensate victims of nuclear testing in Algeria and French Polynesia.