Police in Nepal detain more than 700 Tibetan exiles protesting outside the Chinese embassy and arrest three activists for alleged anti-China activities.
- AFP via Google News
- A strong 7.9 earthquake strikes between the Nepalese capital Kathmandu and the regional headquarter city of Pokhara. The Government of Nepal declares a state of emergency with 1500 dead. A number of UNESCO World Heritage Sites are destroyed, including the historic Dharahara tower. Deaths are also recorded in India, Bangladesh and the Chinese province of Tibet.
- A Tibetan monk sets himself on fire near Boudhanath in Nepal in protest of the Chinese occupation of Tibet.
- Three more Tibetan protesters set themselves on fire in Sichuan, China.
- Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao pledges greater freedoms in Tibet, hours after two protesters are killed demanding the end of Chinese rule in the region; seven officials are also sacked for "neglecting state duties".
- A Tibetan protester sets himself on fire in Sichuan, China.