The United States and China agree to negotiate an investment treaty and to cooperate more closely on energy security and global pollution.
- AP via Google News
- China adds US$60 billion of US products to its import tariff list in retaliation to the United States' recent tariffs on US$200 billion of Chinese imported goods.
- The United States announces a 10% tariff on $200 billion worth of Chinese goods to start on September 24, increasing to 25% by the end of the year, and threatens tariffs on an additional $267 billion worth of imports if China retaliates.
- South Korean President Moon Jae-in announces plans to create a Northeast Asian railroad community with North Korea, the United States, China, Japan, Russia, and Mongolia.
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi says India will launch its first manned space mission by 2022, which would make it the fourth nation to do so after Russia, the United States, and China.
- The United States expand their health alert from Guangzhou to all of China, after it repatriated multiple employees with symptoms resembling a brain injury.