In its annual report, the UNHCR says the number of refugees in the world rose to 11.4 million in 2007 from 9.9m in 2006.
- AP via Forbes
- A refugee boat en route to Bangladesh from Myanmar capsizes, resulting in at least 12 deaths.
- The U.S. Supreme Court rules that the Trump administration can block international refugees from entering the United States.
- An unknown perpetrator using an Apache helicopter fires upon a boat carrying Somali refugees off the coast of Yemen, killing at least 40 of them, injuring 35 more.
- United Nations refugee agency spokesperson Adrian Edwards warns that Europe is on the verge, "... of a largely self-induced humanitarian crisis, ..." if the rapid build-up of migrants continues at the northern borders of an already over-stretched Greece. There are at least 24,000 there now, including 8,500 at Idomeni, the site of yesterday's incident.
- Italian refugee documentary "Fire at Sea", directed by Gianfranco Rosi, wins the 66th Berlin International Film Festival's Golden Bear award for best film.