France announces plans to cut 54,000 defense jobs and push for a stronger European Security and Defence Policy as part of a new defense strategy.
- AP via CNN
- French economy minister Bruno Le Maire says Air France may collapse over ongoing strike action and the state will not bail the firm out despite owning 14.3% of parent Air France-KLM.
- In Cambo-les-Bains, France, ETA performs its final act of dissolution in the presence of politicians such as Gerry Adams, Jonathan Powell, Brian Currin and Cuauhtemoc Cardenas.
- Far-left anarchists clash with riot police in central Paris, France. Several businesses are looted and set on fire, including a McDonald's restaurant and Renault garage. Hundreds are arrested.
- French police arrest three men and three women accused of involvement in the 2016 Magnanville stabbing by an ISIL supporter. Local media reports the detainees include police major Maryline Bereaud and her daughter.
- Around 2,500 police armed with tear gas launch a raid in Notre-Dame-des-Landes, France, in a bid to force the removal of 250 activists who have occupied the site of the proposed Aeroport du Grand Ouest for ten years to prevent its construction. The proposed airport is abandoned but the activists refuse to leave their community.