Trevor Immelman has become the first South African to win the US Masters in 30 years.
- Reuters via ABC (Image)
- Gunmen attack a minibus of people returning from a funeral between Colenso and Weenen in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Eleven people are shot dead and four others are critically injured.
- King Khoebaha Calvin Cornelius III declares independence from South Africa to form the "Sovereign State of Good Hope", encompassing the states of Northern Cape, Western Cape, and the western parts of Eastern Cape. The state raised their own flag after taking down the South African flag.
- A fire in a copper mine in Limpopo, South Africa kills five and traps a sixth.
- A adj=on - m wide asteroid named 2018 LA was estimated (before impact) to have an 82% chance of having impacted Earth today, with several corroborating reports from Botswana. An OFM media report from near Klerksdorp, North West province, South Africa, describes "'a light' falling from the sky" at 18:49 (UTC+02:00) Saturday night.
- A wall collapses onto playing children in Doornfontein, South Africa, killing three.