Thousands of pro-China demonstrators gathered in front of the Canadian Parliament Building in Ottawa to show their support for the Chinese government and 2008 Beijing Olympics.
- A road collapse at a major intersection near the Canadian Parliament in Ottawa, Ontario, forces evacuation of a mall, a hotel, the Shaw Convention Centre, and a book store because of the smell of gas. Power and water are now shut off.
- The Japan Coast Guard claims that two government ships from the People's Republic of China have entered waters near the disputed Senkaku Islands.
- Japanese prosecutors release the Chinese fishing boat captain recently captured in disputed waters in the East China Sea after pressure from the Chinese government.
- Go Daddy, the largest domain name registration company in the world, announces it will cease registering websites in China after the Chinese government required customers to provide photographs and other identifying information before registering.
- The Chinese government denies state involvement in the cyber attacks on Google, while the state-run "China Daily" newspaper accuses the United States of hypocrisy.