Somalian pirates release 30 hostages (mostly French) kidnapped aboard "Le Ponant" in the Gulf of Aden a week ago.
- AFP via Google News
- The French Navy rescues four hostages and kills two Somali pirates on the hijacked yacht "Tanit" in the Gulf of Aden.
- The Netherlands' "Korps Commandotroepen" rescue 20 Yemeni hostages from Somali pirates in the Gulf of Aden.
- The French Navy captures 11 Somali pirates in the Gulf of Aden.
- Militants belonging to Somali group al-Shabaab announce they have executed the French intelligence agent who was the target of the unsuccessful French rescue attempt on January 11. French officials believe the hostage was killed during the mission itself, and the group is using the incident to manipulate the media.
- Two potential pirate attacks in the Gulf of Aden off the coast of Somalia are disrupted by the Seychelles Coast Guard and the Australian navy.