An official reports that last week a flight crew prevented an apparent attempt to crash a Chinese jetliner.
- Reuters (Image)
- China announces 25% tariffs on an additional US$16 billion worth of imports from the United States, effective August 23, matching yesterday's decision by the United States.
- At least 33 are dead and 23 missing after two passenger boats capsize off Phuket, Thailand. All are Chinese tourists.
- Researchers at the Imperial College London report the discovery of the "Lingwulong" genus, a subgroup of Sauropods that lived in China about 174 million years ago, which is 15 million years earlier than any previously-known member of the group.
- Pakistan, Iran, China, and Russia agree on joint efforts against the Islamic State group in Afghanistan, in an effort to ensure peace and eliminate terrorism from the region.
- An explosion at a chemical plant in Sichuan, China, kills 19 people and injures 12 others.